I Found My Haven at House of MinaLima


Since Harry Potter and The Cursed Child (a sequel of Harry Potter in which I regard as a grotesque fanfiction) theater show is ultimately sold out for the rest of this year, why not experience Harry Potter at London in another way which will cost you less?

This particular place has been in my bucket list since it was initially launched on last year, and this UK trip made me finally accomplish it in just one year span. God, I couldn't be more grateful for it.


Source: Londonist.com

House of MinaLima is an exhibition venue created by MinaLima (a graphic design team found by the duo Miraphora Mina and Eduardo Lima) which is known for its graphic arts for numerous films, with Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts being their most prominent ones.

Just a little tidbit, their works influenced me a lot you might find myself using them as references for some of my artworks. :}

This special little house is located just right behind the theater where they play Harry Potter and The Cursed Child at Soho, London. It's a pretty easy find, since all you have to do is walk down the Greek street where the theater backstage is, and there you go, House of MinaLima.

This is an actual quote from myself the very first time I saw the House of MinaLima:


"Everything is so well-decorated, and well-detailed. I'll do everything to be able to live here." 


In which my mum replied:

"Sweetie, you can't live in an exhibition venue."

Source: Londonist.com

House of MinaLima starts with the ground floor functioned as a shop (re: heaven) where you can find any items made by MinaLima, which I skipped for the last (just because) on the day of my visit.

You can also find their catalogue on their website.

MinaLima's works can be found mostly in the form of art prints (which can be super expensive due to its authenticity), books (in which I usually prefer to buy), postcards, tees, and some many other stationeries and merchandises. It's up to you when it comes to buying their merchandises or not. In my case, I just can't help but grabbing everything (despite of running out of money).


The second floor of the House of MinaLima is the newspaper prints floor. I mean, every newspaper featured in every Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts films. 


The third floor are considered as the wackiest, because hey, The Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes related prints are here. It's also the most breathtaking one, as I finally saw the majestic Black Family family tree, or every single potion labels they ever made in Harry Potter universe.

I was almost thinking of stealing one of the prints (just a smidge, you know. They wouldn't realise *oops*), but then, I consider myself too worthless to even touch it. :(


The staircase to the attic is somehow what describe the entire franchise exuberantly: magical.

I mean look at these wall decors?! I would love to fill my entire room with them!


I was considerably lucky to witness a special addition they had on the graphic arts of MinaLima's recent Wizarding World project, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

They even nailed Wizarding World's 1920s graphic arts.


Lastly, their very last room for display: The Library room, with the chimney in reference to the very first Harry Potter film. Featuring the letter that starts it all.

Source: Londonist.com

My visit to this amazing place ended up with myself buying loads (a hyperbole of two) of MinaLima books which currently can never be retrieved in Indonesia. I picked up their latest version of Villeneuve's 'Beauty and The Beast' (joining the hype of the latest Disney live action version of it) and the ultimate 'A Compendium of Collective Nouns'.

Later that evening, I spent some of the spare time reading the books while picnic-ing with mum at the Green Park. I think this is what ideal life should be. Reading books at the park and nobody batted their eyes on you. #justintrovertthings ;_;

How wonderful life could be. 

And what a happy book sniffing Sunday.


Some tips on visiting House of MinaLima
  1. Consider visiting on non-busy weekdays, such as Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday. Avoid weekends to avoid crowds and hassle that you will might be allotted a timed entry.
  2. The venue opens everyday at 12 PM until 7 PM. Make sure to grab some lunch beforehand!
  3. The nearest tube stations are Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Tottenham Court Road, and Piccadilly Circus. Most buses heading to Piccadilly Circus will stop a few minutes walk from the House of MinaLima.
  4. The house is a pretty old and cramped atmospheric building, so mind your head and be careful when climbing the stairs. Unfortunately, they can't provide access for wheelchairs and buggy.
  5. And... No toilets in the building. Make sure to take care of your business before heading in.
  6. You are very welcome to take as many pictures as possible, as long you don't damage the artworks or display. They also encourage you to put #houseofminalima hashtag in your social media posts.
  7. Check out House of MinaLima's social medias (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook) for updates and the artists' visits! Too bad, I was visiting on a Sunday I don't even have the chance to meet them. Maybe next time? ;)
  8. Lastly, take your time to enjoy the view and every little detail in it. I spent nearly 2 and a half hours to explore the 3 stories exhibition, and I swear, I just want to come back soon. :(

22 comments

  1. Great post! It's been a while since I visited Minalima but I agree it's an awe-inspiring and beautiful place. You've captured it so well with your photos! I especially loved the staircase - it feels like a magical portal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaa thank you so much Laila! Indeed, I feel like being transported to the Wizarding world every time I see the photos! <3

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this place, but it looks so. cool. It's amazing that you get to see all the HP paper goods! Wow wow wow it's on my list now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a must visit for every Potterhead! :D

      Delete
  3. OH GOSH, THIS PLACE INDEED IS A HEAVEN. I'm sure I'll be freaking out too seeing such a magical feast right infront of my eyes! And also...
    "I think this is what ideal life should be. Reading books at the park and nobody batted their eyes on you. #justintrovertthings"
    Even I'm the ENFP would agree with that ! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was baffled and then screamed internally the first time I see this place! ASDFGHJKL everything is so beautiful here! :((
      HAHAHA I never thought reading in public could be that peaceful! <3<3<3

      Delete
  4. MinaLima looks really neat! I love the strong Harry Potter vibes XD. I realized the best way to escape any crowds is to go during the weekdays when everyone else is at work. Thanks for sharing your experience and tips!

    https://exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for reading, Nancy! <3
      It's a total must visit!

      Delete
  5. happy book sniffing. I'm attached to the pink book !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! Ah, yes MinaLima's Beauty and The Beast is totally da bomb!
      So well designed! :'')

      Delete
  6. I love anything that involves art! I love that you had a great experience and even had the chance to by some amazing books ( from the cover they look very cool - hahah) ! Thanks for sharing this beautiful place. Also enjoyed your video.

    Nathalie
    www.nathalie-alexandra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading Nathalie! <3

      Delete
  7. omg I wish I had known about this when I was in London! I love design and I love Harry Potter :') Is this a hot spot for tourists? (Thanks for the tips about when to visit :)) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quite new place, but I think it will soon become one fine tourist spot!

      Delete
  8. It looks amazing. I really want to visit it <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so cool! I want to visit this! The interior is so cute! :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awesome to visit this kind of place! <3

      Delete
  10. I am also a Potterhead and read this makes me really jealous lol. Hope I could visit London in the near time :)

    Cheers,

    Navia
    http://travelandword.com

    ReplyDelete

Shout it out loud!