An Impromptu Walk

26.02.2015

I had ethics mid term test that day and somehow the class ended way earlier that I ever guessed (the class started at 7 AM and ended an hour later). I decided to do another gallery walk after I managed to finished a work for a deadline on the Friday way more earlier too than I expected. This was the result: A sudden visit to Galeri Nasional, Jakarta! The current exhibition held there is Aku Diponegoro: Sang Pangeran dalam Ingatan Bangsa, dari Raden Saleh Hingga Kini.

















_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The number one highlight of this exhibition is one of the masterpiece by the maestro Raden Saleh which titled "Penangkapan Pangeran Diponegoro". It was so majestic I can't believe I saw the real painting with my own eyes. Okay, so this exhibition is also featuring a lot of works by contemporary artists with their own perspective about Pangeran Diponegoro himself. Let's say a deconstructivism work by an artist recapturing the feelings when he saw Raden Saleh's painting. Or someone who intentionally paint on a Prince Amplifier and then rename it as "Prince Diponegoro Rocks"? And oh, don't forget about a whole installation that displayed his authentic weapons and tools.

This exhibition was very worthy to visit while you're craving to do some artsy and cultural thing in your spare time. There's also a souvenir store located near the main exhibition. I mean, come on, who doesn't love to do some souvenir shopping?


A beautiful notebook I bought from the exhibition.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The exhibition is currently still open until tomorrow, March 8 2015. The exhibition is open for public and it's free of charge.

Galeri Nasional Indonesia
Jl. Medan Merdeka Timur No.14
Gambir, Jakarta Pusat 10110, Indonesia

2 comments

  1. Ah I really love your last two posts. Art wasn't my thing, but these past months I started seeing paintings, sclupture, etc and i realized, like, those things give that happy feeling to my soul and now i keep craving for more. I wish we have more of these here in town, right? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it's a pleasure for me to know that you like my last two posts! I'm so happy to hear that! :D
      Yeah, one of many things I should really do for the sake of what I will do in the future is to do what I did in these posts. From this, I can contemplate and also some new kind of leisure for me. :D
      Yes, agreed! I live in the suburban and going to these places requires a lot of time and energy. I wish there are some places like this nearer to where I live. Amen!

      Delete

Shout it out loud!